Scheduling a Microsoft Teams meeting
Schedule a meeting in teams
There are two main ways to start schedule a meeting in Teams:
From the calendar
- Go to Calendar on the left side of the app and select New meeting in the top right corner.
- Select a range of time in the calendar and the scheduling form will pop open.
From a individual or group chat
- Schedule a meeting directly from chat to book a meeting with the people in the chat by clicking the create meeting button and the scheduling form will appear.
Build and send your meeting request
- The scheduling form is where you’ll give your meeting a title, invite people, and add meeting details.
- If it’s a recurring meeting, open the dropdown menu next to Does not repeat (just below the date). Choose how often you want it to occur from the default options or select Custom to create your own timing.
- Once you are done filling out the details, select Save. This will close the scheduling form and send an invite to everyone.
Tip: You can use the Scheduling Assistant to easily view free and busy time for all the invites to a meeting and find a time that works for everyone.
Invite people outside your organization.
Teams will let you invite people outside your organization, including those who don’t have a Teams license. When adding Attendees to the meeting enter the the person’s full email address and they will be added to the meeting.
Make a channel meeting
Channel meetings are great to include everyone in a channel without having to individually add them to a specific meeting Request. A channel meeting is also visible to anyone in the team even if they are added to the channel after the original meeting invite was sent out.
- Create a New meeting request as outlined above and schedule as required
- Instead of adding in individual Attendees Type the name of a channel where it says Add channel (under the time and date fields).
- Channels can’t be edited or added once the invite is sent. You’ll need to send a new invite with the updated channel.
- When you have a meeting in a channel, everyone in the team will be able to see it and join it in that channel.
- This feature isn’t available in private channels.
Respond to a meeting request in teams.
Right-click an event in your calendar to RSVP, remove it if it’s cancelled, or open the invitation to view the meeting details. If the event is a Teams meeting, you’ll also get options to Join online and Chat with participants.
Joining a scheduled meeting
Teams meetings will show a join button on an event in your calendar five minutes before the start of a meeting. Once someone joins the meeting, the event will change colours to let you know they’re online.
Select Join to open the meeting settings window to confirm your preferred camera and mic settings before joining the online meeting.
Note: If you have overlapping meetings in your calendar, the join button won’t be available. But you can still right-click the event and select Join online.
Schedule a meeting from the Teams Mobile App
You can schedule Teams meeting through Teams mobile app.
- Click Calendar on the bottom of the app and tap the + sign
Add participants and select the people you’d like to invite.
You can also Share to a channel if you want to have your meeting in a channel.
Note: When you have a meeting in a channel, people will be able to see and join it in that channel.
You can then set start and end times and write a description for the event. Finally, click the check icon on the upper right-hand to schedule your meeting.
Schedule a Teams meeting from Outlook
- Open Outlook and switch to the calendar view.
- Select New Teams Meeting at the top of the view.
Note: Even if you begin by selecting New Meeting or New Appointment, you can make it a Teams meeting by selecting Teams Meeting at the top of the new event form.
- Add your invitees to the Required or Optional field
- Add your meeting subject, location (if applicable), start time, and end time.
- Create your message.
- Select Send.