Recovering Deleted Emails
When you accidentally delete an item from your Outlook mailbox, you can often recover it. The first place to look is the Deleted Items folder. If you can’t find it there, go to Recoverable Items folder, by accessing the Recovery Deleted Items tool.
Recover an item that’s still in your Deleted Items folder
- In Outlook, go to your email folder list, and then click Deleted Items.
- When you find the message, right-click it, and then click Move > Other Folder.
- Move the message to your inbox by clicking Inbox > OK.
- To recover other types of items, do one of the following:
- Calendar item – right-click, and then click Move > Other Folder > Calendar.
- Contact – right click, then click Move > Other Folder > Contacts. For more information about recovering contacts, see Recover a deleted contact in Outlook.
- Task – right-click, then click Move > Other Folder > Tasks.
Recover an item that’s no longer in your Deleted Items folder
If you can’t find an item in the Deleted Items folder, the next place to look is the Recoverable Items folder. This is a hidden folder, and it’s the place where items are moved when you do one of the following things:
- Delete an item from the Deleted Items folder.
- Empty the Deleted Items folder.
- Permanently delete an item by selecting it and pressing Shift + Delete.
How to recover items from the Recoverable Items folder
- In Outlook, go to your email folder list, then select Deleted Items.
- Make sure Home is selected, and then click Recover Delete Items From Server.
Important: If Recover Deleted Items From Server is grayed out or is not there:
- You might be working offline mode. To work online, see Switch from offline to online mode.
- You might not be using an Exchange account. To check, see How do I tell if I have an Exchange account in Outlook.
- If you don’t have an Exchange account (using Outlook to connect to an IMAP or POP account), you can’t recover an item that’s been permanently deleted or deleted from the Deleted Items folder.
- You might be able to recover items from the Trash folder when you are connected to an IMAP account. See how: Restore deleted messages when using an IMAP account.
- Select the item you want to recover, click Restore Selected Items, and then click OK.
Tip: You can recover email messages, contacts, calendar items, and tasks from the Recoverable Items folder.
Where do recovered items go?
When you recover items from the Recoverable Items folder, they are moved to the Deleted Items folder. So after you recover an item, you can find it in your Deleted Items folder and then move it to another folder. If you recover a calendar appointment, contact, or task, it’s also moved to the Deleted Items folder. From there, you can move it back to your calendar, contact list, or tasks. To find recovered items, just search for them in the Deleted Items folder.