Tips & Tricks
- Show all articles ( 25 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 7 ) Collapse Articles
Mark unread message as read when deleting in Outlook
4 out Of 5 Stars
Sometimes we see a high count of unread emails in Outlook. When we delete those emails, it still shows as unread while sitting on Deleted folder. It may lead to confusion and unwanted items may appear in searches.
How to automatically mark messages as read when deleted
If your Deleted Items folder shows that you have unread items, here’s a quick fix to make sure all deleted messages are marked as read.
- On Outlook, click File.
- Select Options.
- Click Mail on the dialog box that will appear.
- Scroll down to the bottom and look for Other section. Tick the box on Mark messages as read when deleted, then click OK.
Please review the sample email below:
The user has received an email.
Click the “trash” icon to delete.
The message will be moved to the Deleted Items and it will be marked as read.
How to instantly mark email messages as read in Microsoft Outlook
Note: By default, Outlook will not mark a message as read by clicking and viewing it. This step will help instantly mark an email as read.
- Click File on the upper left corner of Outlook.
- Click Options.
- A dialog box will appear, then click Mail. Under Outlook panes, click Reading Pane.
- Another dialog box will appear. Tick the box for Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane, then change the Wait section to 0.
Note: The default number shows 5 on the Wait box. It shows how many seconds it takes to mark the message as read.