Import data to SharePoint lists from Excel
In this article, we will show you how to import Excel list items to an existing SharePoint list. There are three (3) ways to import Excel to SharePoint list and they are as follow:
- Quick Edit
- Import Spreadsheet
- Direct Export from Excel
How to import through Quick Edit
In the quick edit option in the list of a SharePoint, you can input the data from the Excel spreadsheet directly to the existing list or the list you just created. You need to create columns similar to the columns of the spreadsheet.
- Open Microsoft Excel , copy the cells that you wish to transfer to the desired SharePoint List.
- Make sure the field type matches with the cells in the list.
- Log in to the required SharePoint site and create a list (or select an existing list). You will need to create columns in the same order as in your spreadsheet.
- To add a column, click Add column and choose among the option to create a suitable column.
- After creating the column, click Edit in grid view option.
Note: Some SharePoint sites may show this as Quick edit.
- The list columns are open to receive the data. Copy the row from the excel and paste it in the list row.
- The simple copy-paste process will bring the whole data to the SharePoint list.
How to import through Import Spreadsheet option
Another method involves using the ‘Import spreadsheet’ web part option where you can directly import the Excel sheet to the site. Here’s how:
- Click Settings (gear icon) on the site page.
- Select Add an app.
- On the app list, choose Import Spreadsheet.
- On the next screen, give your new app/list a name, then choose an Excel file. Click Import.
- The Excel file will open up where you need to select the range of cells that you want to import. Select them and click Import.
- The table will be copied to the SharePoint site list. The table will have proper columns and rows as it was saved in the Excel.
Note: This process works only with Internet Explorer. If you are using any other web browser, it will give you an error message that says, “This feature requires a browser that supports ActiveX controls.”
How to import through Direct Export from Excel
Lastly you can directly export the table to SharePoint list without any external assistance. Here’s how:
- In Excel spreadsheet, select the data range and Format it as a Table.
- While the table is highlighted, go to the Export option and select Export table to SharePoint list.
- In the Address field, input the link of the site of the SharePoint list. Provide a Name and description to the sheet and click Next.
- On the next screen, you will see all the columns with corresponding recognized column types (Currency, Date, etc.). Just click Finish.
- A message will appear that showing that the table was successfully published and also provide the link to where you can view the table as the SharePoint list.