How to open and use a shared mailbox in Outlook
A shared mailbox allows a group of people to monitor and send email from a single email address (e.g., email@example.com).
When you send a message using a shared mailbox, the email appears to be from the shared email address, not from your own address.
Add a shared mailbox to Outlook
Close and restart your Outlook after your admin has added you as a member of a shared mailbox. Shared mailbox should automatically display in your Folder pane in Outlook.
What to do if it didn’t work?
It may take a few minutes before the shared mailbox appears. Please wait a bit and then close and restart Outlook again.
If it didn’t work, then manually add the shared mailbox to Outlook:
- Open Outlook.
- Select the File tab in the ribbon.
- Choose Account Settings, then select Account Settings from the menu.
- Click the Email tab.
- Make sure the correct account is highlighted, then choose Change.
- Choose More Settings.
- Another dialog box will pop up. Click Advanced > Add.
- Type the shared email address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click OK > OK.
- Select Next > Finish > Close.
How to reply to mail sent to the shared mailbox
- Open Outlook.
- Open the email message you want to reply to.
- On From field at the top of your message, you should see the name of your shared mailbox. If not, choose the From dropdown box and choose your shared mailbox.
- Finish typing your message and then choose Send.
When you want to send a message from your shared mailbox, the address will be available in your From drop down list.
Whenever you send a message from your shared mailbox, your recipients will only see the shared email address in the message.
Use the shared calendar
Once you’re added as a member of a shared mailbox, the shared calendar associated with the shared mailbox will automatically be added to your Calendars list.
- In Outlook, go to calendar view then choose the shared mailbox.
- When you enter appointments, everyone who is a member of the shared mailbox will be able to see them.
- Any member of the shared mailbox can create, view, and manage appointments on the calendar, just like they would their personal appointments. Everyone who is a member of shared mailbox can see their changes to the shared calendar.
Use the shared contact list
As a member of shared mailbox, you will also have access to shared contact list associated with the shared mailbox. It will be automatically added to your My Contacts list.
- In Outlook, choose People.
- Under My Contacts, choose the contacts folder for the shared contacts list.
Use a shared mailbox on a mobile device
Follow these steps to access a shared mailbox on a mobile device.
- Sign in to your account in Outlook for iOS or Android.
- Tap the Add Account button in the left navigation pane, then tap Add a Shared Mailbox.
- If you have multiple accounts in Outlook Mobile, select the account that has permissions to access the shared mailbox.
Once the account setup process completes, the shared mailbox will display in your account list in Outlook for iOS or Outlook for Android.
To remove a shared mailbox, go to Settings > Accounts. Then tap on the shared mailbox and select Delete Account.
Open and use a shared mailbox in Outlook on the web
If you’re using Outlook on the web for business, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your account in Outlook on the web.
- Right-click Folders in the left navigation pane, then choose Add shared folder for Exchange Online mailboxes. For Exchange on-premises mailboxes, right-click the name of your primary mailbox (such as April Kepner) in the left navigation pane, then choose Add shared folder.
- Type the name or email address of someone who has shared a mailbox with you, then click Add. If you’re a member of a shared mailbox, type the email address e.g., email@example.com.
The shared mailbox folder displays on your folder list.
To remove it, simply right-click the shared mailbox then select Remove shared folder.
Sending email using shared mailbox
- Click New to create new message.
- Click the ellipsis button at the top then select Show From.
- Right-click your email address then click Remove.
- Type the shared address of the shared mailbox manually.
- Finish typing your message then click Send.
Note: You will only do steps 3 and 4 the first time that you will send from the shared mailbox.
After the first email is sent from the shared mailbox, the shared address will be available on From dropdown list.
Whenever you send email from the shared mailbox, the recipients will only see the shared email address from the shared message.