How to join a Teams meeting
With the current COVID-19 situation, most of us are working from home. This is why Google Meet, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams became popular to conduct meetings online.
In this article, we will then provide step-by-step procedures and ways on how to join Teams meeting.
Ways to join a Teams meeting through desktop
Here are some ways to join a Teams meeting:
- Join by link
- From calendar
- Join in a channel
- Join from chat
- Call in
- Add a room while you join
Join by link (Teams app)
The most common way to invite people to join a meeting in Teams is by sending an email invite. The organizer can create Teams calendar invite (from Outlook or Teams), then the meeting invitation will be sent to the attendee’s email address.
Click Join Microsoft Teams Meeting link. Teams on your default web browser will open for you to be prompted to launch Teams app on your PC.
Click Open to launch Teams app and select your audio and video settings.
- To join the meeting with or without camera.
- Join the meeting with your mic on or off.
- Once selected the mic and camera option, join the meeting by clicking Join now.
Join by link (Web browser)
If clicking the link did not work, try copying the link and paste it to your preferred web browser. This will also work for people joining a Teams meeting but don’t have an account.
Once you open the Teams in web browser, you will be asked to choose an option on how you want to join the meeting.
- Download the Windows app – if you want to join the meeting through the app but you don’t have the Teams app installed yet. You will be prompted to install the Teams app by selecting this option.
- Join the web instead – joining the meeting through Teams in web browser.
- Launch Teams app – join the meeting through Teams app. The browser will launch the Teams app.
For this part, we will select Join on the web instead option.
After clicking Join on the web instead, you will be prompted by your browser to allow the site to access your computer’s microphone and camera. Click Allow button to continue.
This will then take you to choose your audio and video settings for the meeting.
Note: The option to manually enter the name will be available for people joining a meeting without a Teams account or when joining the Teams meeting as a guest.
Joining from calendar
Steps to join Teams meeting from Teams calendar:
- Launch Teams then click Calendar.
- Find the meeting from the calendar then click Join.
Steps to join Teams meeting from Outlook calendar:
- Go to Outlook then click Calendar.
- Find the meeting in the calendar, right-click then select Open.
- Meeting details will open in a new window. Select Join Teams Meeting or Click here to join the meeting.
Join in a channel
If a meeting takes place in a channel, you’ll see an invitation to join, relevant content, and who’s in the meeting right in the channel. Just select Join.
Join from chat
If the meeting has already begun, it appears in your recent chat list. Select the meeting in your chat list and then select Join at the top of the chat.
If you’re unable to user the Teams app or Teams on the web, you can join some meetings by calling a phone number. If there is a phone number and conference ID in the meeting invite, just dial the number to join.
The number in your invitation may not be local to you. Select Find a local number to get one that is.
Add a room while you join
When you’re choosing your audio and video settings, you have the option to add a room so you can use a meeting room’s audio and video devices. Your personal device may even detect a nearby room using Bluetooth. If it does, you’ll see the meeting room’s name and the option to Join and add this room. Otherwise, you can Join with audio off to avoid disrupting the meeting if the nearby room has already joined the meeting.
Select Add a room under Other join options and search for the room you’re using if your device doesn’t detect the room nearby.
Ways to join a Teams meeting through mobile
Before joining Teams meeting, please install and set up Teams app first on your mobile for better audio and video quality as well as content sharing.
There are different ways to join a Teams meeting from a mobile device.
Join by link
The meeting invite could be sent through email, select Click here to join the meeting to open the app and join the meeting.
If you don’t have the app, you’ll be taken to the app store where you can download it. Once Teams app is downloaded, click Sign in and join.
Depending on the organizer’s settings, you may join the meeting right away or go to the lobby where someone else can admit you.
Join from calendar
Select Calendar on the bottom of the app to see your meetings. Find the meeting you want, and then select Join.
Join from a notification
You will get notification when a Teams meeting starts. Join the meeting by tapping the notification.
Join in a channel
If a meeting takes place in a channel, you’ll see an invitation to join, relevant content, and the organizer right in the channel. Just select Join.
Join from chat
You may join in a meeting that has already started. Just go to Chat then click Join to join the meeting.
Some meetings let you join by dialing a phone number if you’re unable to use the Teams app.
If there’s a phone number in the meeting invite, select it to dial the number and the conference ID. Once you’re connected, dial 1 to join the meeting.
Select Find a local number to get one that works for you if you see a number in the invite but it’s not local to you.
Join on multiple devices
Join a meeting on more than one device for more collaboration and content-sharing options. If you’re already in a meeting on your laptop, for example, you can join on your phone as well to share live video, control a presentation with your phone, and much more.
When you’ve joined a meeting on one device, open Teams on your mobile phone. (Make sure both devices are signed in to the same Teams account.)
You’ll see a message at the top of your mobile screen with an option to join the meeting on this device. Tap Join to share content from your phone with everyone in the meeting.
Join meeting as a guest
You can join a Teams meeting on the mobile app even if you don’t have a Teams account.
- In the meeting invite, click Join Microsoft Teams Meeting.
- You will be prompted to download the Teams mobile app if you still don’t have it installed.
- Download and open the app. Make sure to allow permission for Teams to access your mic and camera.
- Select Join as a guest, then type your name and tap Join meeting.
- Depending on how the meeting was set up, you may be able to enter the meeting now or it might require you to sign in with an authorized account to join the meeting.
- Once you’re in the meeting, you can turn your video or mic on or off by tapping on the center of your screen to show the meeting controls. Tap again to hide them.
Note: The meeting organizer or the administrator may require you to sign in with an authorized account to join the meeting.
For example, if this is a school meeting you may need to sign in with your school account. Or if the meeting is part of a conference, you may need to use a conference-authorized account.