Tips & Tricks
- Show all articles ( 25 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 7 ) Collapse Articles
How To Collapse Or Expand All Groups In Outlook
4.1 out Of 5 Stars
Collapse or expand all groups by shortcut
With the following shortcut keys, you can easily collapse or expand all groups.
- For expanding all groups, hold on the Ctrl key and then press + sign on the number keyboard.
- For collapsing all groups, you can press Ctrl and – sign on the number keyboard. After pressing “Ctrl –” to collapse all groups, you can see the result as following screenshot shows:
Note: You should remember, the sign “-” and “+” must on the number keyboard.
Collapse or expand single group or all groups by Collapse/Expand feature
For Outlook 2010 and 2013, if you just want to temporarily collapse or expand a single group or all groups at once in Outlook, please do as follows.
- If you want to collapse or expand a single group per time, you need to select this group and then click View > Expand/Collapse > Collapse This Group or Expand This Group. See screenshot:
And only the selected single group will be collapsed or expanded.
- For collapsing or expanding all groups, please click View > Expand/Collapse > Collapse All Groups or Expand All Groups.
And then all the groups in the mail listing will be collapsed or expanded.
In Outlook 2007, please click View > Expand/Collapse Groups, and then choose the options that you want to do from the expanded list.
For Outlook 2016, click View > Expand/Collapse then choose on the options as to what you want to do from the expanded list.
Collapse or expand all groups by default in Outlook
If you want to collapse or expand all groups or conversations by default in Outlook, you can change the default collapse/expand state of groups as follows:
- In Outlook 2007, please click View > Current View > Customize Current View. See screenshot:
In Outlook 2010 and 2013, please click View tab, and then click View Settings in the Current View group.
- In the following popping up dialog, in Outlook 2007, it is named Customize View: Messages; in Outlook 2010 and 2013, it is called Advanced View Settings: Hide Message Marked for Deletion. In that dialog, click Group By. See screenshot:
- If you want to open the Outlook with all groups expanded by default, please select All Expanded in the Group By dialog under under Expand/collapse defaults. If not, select the other one.
- Then click OK to close this dialog. When it returns to the previous dialog, please click OK again.
In Outlook 2016, go to View tab then click View Settings.
- Click Group By on the dialog box that will pop up.
- On Group By dialog box, click the dropdown box under Expand/collapse defaults. Select All Expanded if you want to open the Outlook with all groups expanded by default. Click OK to save changes.
4.1 out Of 5 Stars