Tips & Tricks
- Show all articles ( 21 ) Collapse Articles
Creating Shortcuts on the Start Menu, Taskbar, and Desktop
0 out Of 5 Stars
The Start menu in Windows 10 is a great place to pin your favorite apps, especially since you can take advantage of live tiles. However, if you have a few apps that you frequently use and want to open right away from the desktop, then we recommend pinning them to the taskbar.
Pin and unpin apps to Start
Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here’s how:
- Press Start button, then right click the app you want to pin and choose Pin to Start.
- You can also hold and drag the app to the right to pin to Start.
- To unpin an app, select Unpin from Start.
How to pin apps to taskbar
There are two ways to pin an app to taskbar:
- From the app list or Start menu, right click an app and select Pin to taskbar.
- When you open an application, its icon appears in the taskbar. Right click that icon and select Pin to taskbar.
Create desktop shortcuts
- Adding a shortcut requires a simple drag and drop action. Left click on the tile or icon from the Start menu, then drag and release on the desktop.
- To create shortcuts to your favorite websites on the desktop:
Creating Applications and Shortcuts for Websites
- Create a desktop shortcut for your favorite program, right-click on its .exe file and select Send To > Desktop (Create shortcut). You will see that its shortcut has been created on your Windows desktop.
If you selected Create shortcut, its shortcut will be created in the same location. From there, you can drag and drop into your desired folder location.
Right-click on your desktop, then select New > Shortcut. You will see the following box open.
If you know the path, enter it otherwise click on the Browse button and browse to the .exe file and select it. Now click on Next to open the following window. You may keep the same name or modify it. Click Finish to create the desktop shortcut.